Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Shenzhen, China

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=79243603&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile  https://twitter.com/alohabadger  http://tanukichamptranslation.net/
I got out of the station that day and was a little overwhelmed with all of the people there. Shenzhen Station is a very busy station since it is a gateway Hong Kong. At Shenzhen Station you can actually walk to Hong Kong. It is also very easy to go there with signs all over the place leading you to Hong Kong. As I exited the station I wanted to catch a taxicab to go to my hotel. I had an address for the hotel on my phone so I was not worried about getting to the hotel. It was difficult to find the taxicab area being that it was my first time to Shenzhen. I wandered around looking for a cab and I was approached by a man saying "taxi"? I said sure! actually not a very good idea. He takes me away from the station and to a private car where someone else was waiting. Then he tells me just 100 RMB to the hotel. I did not know any better and still took the cab. We got to the hotel relatively easy and quick so I was not so disappointed. Later on when I took a  real taxicab to the station and it was only 25 RMB I was extremely disappointed. I know now I will never take an unofficial taxicab again. Not so SMART!!

Shenzhen is a wonderful city in China that is filled with many conveniences. Shenzhen not so long ago was just a small town and now it is a prospering metropolis. I really enjoyed my visit to Shenzhen. The city has many good parks, shops and malls that are also foreigner friendly since they have much English signage. The neighborhood that my hotel was in was very conveniently located. The neighborhood had a Starbuck's a great shopping mall many restaurants and my bank, Bank of China all within walking distance from the hotel. Shenzhen also has a great public transportation system which I enjoyed during my stay. I took a city bus which was directly outside the hotel and I was able to see most of the city for only 2 RMB. Two RMB in U.S. currency is equivalent to about 40 cents NOT BAD!! Shenzhen also has a subway system which I did not experience when I was there but there was a station just a block away from my hotel. Shenzhen also has 7-11 convenience stores which I like for cheap coffee, beer and chips, great for the hotel room. When I was checking out of the hotel I asked about a bus that could take me to the train station. And sure enough there was the #1 bus that went to the train station. No need to pay 25 RMB for a taxi I took the bus and saved 23 RMB. If you are thinking of going to China I highly recommend Shenzhen. This link shows an example of Shenzhen 30 years ago and how it is now. http://twistedsifter.com/2012/02/picture-of-the-day-shenzhen-china-30-years-later/

No comments:

Post a Comment