Sunday, November 3, 2013

Playing Basketball In Handan, China

https://twitter.com/alohabadger  http://tanukichamptranslation.net/  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.pierson.73
I was at the school's office one day and the new assistant Chen asked me "Aaron do you play basketball?" "I said sure I love to play". Then he showed me his new Spaulding professional basketball. Shortly after that we went out and shot some hoops. Afterwards Chen asked if I would like to play some basketball on my day off. I told him sign me up. Basketball in China is very popular and I was excited to play some ball. On my next day off I met Chen downtown and he took me to a basketball court. The ball court was on a college campus where most of the courts were busy. We picked up a friend along the way and started shooting some baskets. I thought we would just shoot some baskets between the three of us. I was very good with that since I had not played any basketball in a long time. Well all of a sudden it turned into a game of two on two that's not so bad. I could handle that. 

We played the two on two for a little while then a few more guys showed up and we started playing a game of five on five. To top this all off it is late November in Handan and it is FREEZING outside! Nothing like catching a hard basketball in freezing temperatures. I thought I was just going to shoot some hoops!!I was completely wrong and these guys did not want to stop playing. We must have played for over two hours that day with guys coming and going from the game. I was seriously exhausted after this and I just wanted to sleep. Instead of going home we went out for lunch and it turned into just an incredible day. Sports can really bring people together. I will never forget that day in Handan another great experience. I was sore for days after that game. HAHA!! If you would like to be a favorite link or if you would like information on teaching jobs or teaching programs in China contact me here tanukichamptranslation@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment