Saturday, November 2, 2013

Chinese idiom Learning to Walk in Handan and Meeting Friends At Their University

https://twitter.com/alohabadger  http://tanukichamptranslation.net/  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.pierson.73
The Chinese idiom Learning to walk in Handan is an ancient idiom from the Chinese Warring States Period 2000 years ago. In Chinese the idiom is titled like this Han dan xue bu.  The idiom tells of  how Handanners were famous for their walk during this period. Their walk was known to be vigorous but appeared elegant and beautiful. Some young boys from the state of Yan heard of this and went to Handan to learn to walk. In Handan the young boys tried to copy many Handanners way of walking but found that they couldn't do it. Frustrated they decided to go home but when starting back they found that they had forgotten their own way of walking. They had to crawl back home. The meaning of the idiom is imitate other's blindly lose one's individuality. I think it is important to be yourself. Below is a link to this idiom. I would like to thank my friend Helen from Handan for all of her useful knowledge. 
http://chinese.hm68.com/index.php/chinese-idioms/18-learning-to-walk-in-handan

One time on a day off I went to my friend Kelly's university. She was at Handan Engineering University. She told me that I would be meeting a few of her friends. I went to the university that day and I met Kelly and a friend at the entrance of the campus. I did say a friend after a short walk another friend showed up then another before I knew it there was 10 friends  following me around the campus. This was so great I had never experienced so many people happy to see me. We toured the campus and everyone was so helpful. I was very impressed with the facilities. I got something to drink at the dining hall and it was very nice. We then went to a small sports stadium and I loved their track there. It was an athletics field not meant for soccer but strictly for track and field which made me like it even more. I don't know if I have mentioned this before on my blog but I love to run. One feature of the university campus that I was impressed with the most was the university hotel. It was simple but well furnished and nice enough that I would have liked to stay there. I thought this was a unique feature of this university campus. I left the university that day really happy and with 10 new friends. Again teaching in China was a rewarding experience. If you would like to be a favorite link or you would like information on teaching jobs or teaching programs in China contact me here tanukichamptranslation@gmail.com. 


No comments:

Post a Comment