Sunday, December 1, 2013

Teaching ESL In China

https://twitter.com/alohabadger http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=79243603&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile  http://tanukichamptranslation.net/
Teaching ESL in China can be so exciting and rewarding. When first arriving as a foreign teacher you will be very busy. If you are working for a private school you probably start teaching the next day after you arrive. If you are working for a public school usually they will give a few days for an adjustment period. In my case I was working for a private training center and I taught the next day. The first day in China you will also have to register with the local police department as being a new resident. You also will be required to get a new cell phone in the first few days after you arrive. Cell phones in China are relatively inexpensive so do not be worried. Expect to be exceptionally busy for the first week. You probably will have a lot of extracurricular activities to attend along with many classes to teach. Generally Chinese schools really want to entertain foreign teachers their first week. The classes will be very large I have taught classes with as many as 70 students in the class. You primarily will be an oral English teacher meaning a lot of repetition and therefore you are going to be using your voice a lot so be prepared. I definitely recommend getting a water bottle for classes.  You also will have competent assistants to help you with translation.The housing should be very nice actually you will be pleasantly surprised I know that I was. My apartment was a three bedroom and I was the only one living there. There also will be many people LOVING to say hello to you. I just call it the random hello they really want to try their English with you. So if you want to try something different and really experience another culture be a ESL teacher in China. 



No comments:

Post a Comment